The excitement of Sunday’s wild card game between the Green Bay Packers and San Francisco 49ers started Saturday among my Facebook friends.
There was talk of food, the frigid weather forecast, the odds of the Packers winning given the injuries, wagers and all the usual banter.
For a Packers fan living near the Gulf Coast, social media has made the football season bearable. Through Facebook, Twitter and my favorite sports blogs, I can virtually tailgate with fellow fans and never leave my house.
I also got a glimpse of Lambeau Field from Facebook friends who posted photos from the stadium. It brought back memories of the late-December game against the New York Giants in the 2010 season. The mercury dipped into the teens, but my brother and I didn’t mind the cold; we were ecstatic to see our favorite team play live. (And they won that game, 45-17)
The Pack wasn’t so lucky today. San Francisco kicked a winning field goal with three seconds left and won, 23-20.
Facebook was a great place to cheer along with fellow fans, or give a thumbs-up to their commentary.
Here is a sampling of social media on game day.
On Packers pride
- “It’s pretty awesome when you look at your facebook wall and it’s pretty much green and gold (I’m friends with lots of Packer Backers lol). Go Pack!!” –John Dick
On staying safe in the cold
- “…I will be keeping everyone in my prayers that will be venturing out to GREEN BAY PACKER GAME. Please dress warm in several layers as my sis said hand and feet warmers. …” –Roberta Decorah
On Packers punter Tim Mastay in the first quarter:
- “My Gaga (Ho-Chunk name for “grandmother”) can punt better than that…wth!” –Tamara Scoles
- “Haha, I said, ‘please punt it further than our Gaga this time!!’” – Anne Thundercloud
- “I knew it! The minute I say I can’t take it anymore and walk away, the Packers have a good play. They ALWAYS do better when I don’t watch!!!” – Elaine Reichardt
- “With all these injuries, if the Packers win, their next game will be played with walkers and crutches…dang!” – Elaine Reichardt
Other than the emotional play-by-play from Twitter fans, the tweets were mostly favorable. Here are just a few:
- @secupp: Jordy for President.
- @chucktodd: Just love Lacy.
- @CheeseheadFacts: KUHHHHHNNNNNNN with Lambeau Leap fail!!!!!!
- @shelbymorell: I only respond to texts during commercial breaks.
- @everphilski: My sons simultaneously coined the term “kaepersack”
- @MegsScrambled: Well. I just watched a guy drink beer out of a stranger’s cheesehead hat. Packer fans are intense.
When the Pack wins, it’s sensational. But when they lose, it takes a bit of the sting away to commiserate with fellow fans.
- @LSheka: Good season, boys. Way to battle.
- @danpack6: win, tie or lose. I love my Green Bay Packers.
- @MattD_74: I’m still wearing my Packers gear tomorrow.
- “Thanks for the great season Packer fanatics !!!” –Jeff St. Germaine
- “Packer fan – until death do us part” –Misty M. Jackson
See you all next season.
Follow me on Twitter @karenmichel.